Creative BC and the Government of British Columbia has announced the launched of Showcase BC, a $750,000 program to provide immediate support to BC musicians who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Funded by the Province of British Columbia, this program will be administered by Creative BC. The program will support emerging and established artists across the province as they create and perform. Micro-grants will be awarded to B.C. artists who are eligible and have previously applied to Amplify BC programs in order to support livestreaming, songwriting, and professional development. Online performances will be free and available to the public at Showcase BC or through the hashtag #ShowcaseBC.
This program supports BC artists who have previously submitted complete and eligible applications to:
- Creative BC’s Career Development program
- Music BC’s Artist Travel Grant program
- First Peoples’ Cultural Council's Indigenous Music Initiative
Eligible artists must demonstrate they have been musically active within the last 12 months, and commit to completing one of the following activities:
- 30 minutes of online content, including livestreamed performances or other video content
- Songwriting and self-production
- Training, skill sharing, and professional development activities
Please read the program guidelines for the Showcase BC program:
Funding offers will be sent automatically to eligible artists. Artists must accept their funding offer by May 15, 2020. Full payments will be issued within 5-10 days of accepting the funding offer.
- Funding offers will be sent to Creative BC recipients on Friday, April 17.
- Funding offers will be sent to Music BC and First Peoples' Cultural Council recipients on Tuesday, April 21.
Emerging & Established Artists
Eligible artists will receive an offer letter via email from Creative BC indicating their grant amount based on application information previously provided.
- Emerging artists are defined by Creative BC as an artist earning a minimum of $2,000 a year from music activities, who have previously released a minimum of 2 songs on a public platform, and have an online presence for their project.
- Established artists meet all the Emerging criteria, but also earn a significant portion of their livelihood from music, have an extensive catalogue of releases, industry support, a wide listener audience, and experience performing and releasing music both nationally and internationally.
For those with additional questions, Creative BC says to contact:
Gina Loes | Program Analyst, Music
Phone: +1 604 730 2253
Francis Arevalo | Coordinator, Music
Phone: +1 604 730 2241