CBC and MusiCounts Learn have partnered to present the first-ever Canadian Music Playlist Challenge. This project-based initiative requires no singing or music instruments to complete, and students can participate whether working from home or at school.
The Playlist Challenge has two components: First, the free learning resource, or "lesson plan." This guide introduces students to themes of Canadian and Indigenous identity and our musical heritage, as explored through the Juno Awards.
The project culminates in a series of activities that teachers can use to build their classes' custom Canadian music playlist. The playlist should be a reflection of the unique character of your school, region, and students' interests. Teachers can upload their class playlist to a special CBC website for all Canadians to enjoy.
All schools that submit a playlist will be entered into a random draw for a chance to win one of 10 MusiCounts instrument grants for your school, each valued at $1,000.
The Canadian Music Playlist Challenge is an easy four-step project that can fit any curriculum.
- Register to participate. This just takes a few minutes. It will be how we keep in touch with updates and next steps.
- Download and use the free lesson plan from MusiCounts Learn. This custom learning resource has been developed by Mark Reid, the 2013 MusiCounts Teacher of the Year. This will provide you with everything you need to engage your students in a conversation about Canadian music in your classroom, whether that be virtual or physical.
- Complete the playlist assignment. The lesson plan concludes with activities that will help your classes create their own Canadian music playlist.
- Submit your playlist to CBC Music. In October, will provide all registered participants with a link to upload your playlist to a special site that will display all submissions.
Note the key dates for the Playlist Challenge:
- Sept. 8: Playlist Challenge launches at 5 a.m. ET
- Nov. 9: Submission period opens at 5 a.m. ET
- Nov. 30: Submissions close at 11:59 p.m. ET
- Dec. 16: Draw winners, announced at 5 a.m. ET