A cappella music will take centre stage at SING! The Toronto Vocal Arts Festival, taking place from May 24 to June 2, 2019. Now in its eighth year, Canada’s premier a cappella festival brings a star-studded lineup of international headliners and industry experts to various downtown Toronto venues for 10 concerts, seven free events and a variety of workshops. Tickets and new festival passes are available now at singtoronto.com.
SING! will highlight an array of musical styles, including pop, jazz, folk, gospel, choral, world, barbershop and live looping music. Headliner concerts include:
• SING! Jazz It up with The Swingles and Countermeasure: Jazz-influenced arrangements of pop, R & B and folk music with The Swingles, five-time Grammy Award winners from London, UK, and Countermeasure, three-time Contemporary A Cappella Society of America Award winners from Toronto.
• SING! Mandela Centenary Celebration with Mzansi: South Africa’s Mzansi Music Ensemble showcases the harmony and rhythms of traditional African sounds and African jazz, weaving praise singing, voice and chants in tribute to Nelson Mandela.
• SING! O Canada! Spotlight on Leonard Cohen: The stunningly beautiful sound of Cohen’s music stripped down to voices, performed by Canadian singers Heather Bambrick, David Sereda, Trish O’Callaghan, The Watch, Hampton Avenue and The Ault Sisters. This show will also feature the presentation of the Slaight Music SING! Toronto Legacy Award to Debbie Fleming, singer/musician/arranger/producer and past JUNO nominee.
• SING! Songs & Stories of Migration: Musicians and storytellers share tales of migration to and in Canada, featuring Ariel Balevi, Pressgang Mutiny, Turkwaz, Sage Tyrtle, Joanna Wallfisch, and Dan Yashinsky.
• Art Battle @ SING! Toronto: Live, competitive painting pits six visual artists in a race against the clock, as Wibi A Cappella, Yonge Guns and Pretty Sharp inspire and entertain.
• SING! Cuban Fantasies with Vocal Sampling and Freeplay: Six Cubans famed for being able to recreate a hot Latin orchestra with voices and mics, Vocal Sampling transports you to the world of salsa and the tight, rhythmic sounds of Cuban music.
More SING! artists are being added on an ongoing basis. View the latest schedule here.
For the fifth consecutive year, SING! The Toronto Vocal Arts Festival has been selected as one of Ontario’s top 100 festivals and events by Festivals & Events Ontario this year. SING! has also generated several SING! partner festivals in Texas, as well as SING! Edinburgh at Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
For more information, go to www.singtoronto.com.