After taking a hiatus in 2020 due to COVID-19, Canadian Music Week will return May 18-21, 2021 with a virtual conference and showcase festival, as well as its 20th anniversary Independent Music Awards.
The CMW Virtual Conference will include keynote interviews with singer/songwriter and Oscar-winning composer Buffy Sainte-Marie, and Grammy-winning rapper and producer Timbaland, plus a fireside chat with Grammy-winning producer, songwriter, and music and film producer Dallas Austin.
Additional Speakers for the 2021 Virtual Edition of the CMW conference include:
- Chris Blackwell - Island Records Founder
- Desmond Child - Grammy winning producer, songwriter
- The Honourable Steven Guilbeault - Minister of Canadian Heritage
- Shirley Halperin - Executive Editor, Variety
- Sam Hollander - Songwriter, producer, hitmaker
- Michael Huppe – President & CEO, Sound Exchange
- Kevin Liles - Co-Founder & CEO, 300 Entertainment
- Raine Maida and Chantal Kreviazuk – Hit singer/songwriters
- Carianne Marshall - Co-Chair & COO, Warner Chappell Music
- Michael McCarty - CEO, Kilometre Music Group
- Merck Mercuriadis - Hipgnosis Music Fund
- Lawrence Mestel - Founder & CEO, Primary Wave
- Ethan Millman - Writer Rolling Stone
- Gail Mitchell - Executive Director, R&B/Hip Hop, Billboard Magazine
- Ian Montone - Founder Monotone Management Inc.
- Natalia Nastaskin - CCO, Primary Wave
- Wendy Ong - President, TaP Music
- Ryan Press - President, A&R, U.S., Warner Chappell Music
- Debra Rathwell - EVP of Global Touring at AEG
- Brittney King Rock - President, 10k Projects
- Nile Rodgers - Rock & Roll Hall-of-Famer
- Mauricio Ruiz - 8 Til Faint Management, Co-Manager, Jessie Reyez
- Portia Sabin – President, Music Business Association
- Suzy Shinn, Hit Producer and engineer
- Rob Stevenson - Partner, 300 Entertainment
- and many more to be announced.
The Virtual conference event will feature networking sessions, breakout rooms, one-on-one meetings, exhibitors, the International Marketplace, and Q&A sessions with select speakers and panelists.
Registration is open now at www.cmw.net/register.
The 20th Anniversary Independent Music Awards will be streamed live from the El Mocambo on Friday, May 21, 2021. The online Awards show will be hosted by Matt, Carlin and Josie Dye of INDIE88, and feature performances by 2019 INDIE Award-winners Monowhales, July Talk, Sam Roberts Band, Walk Off The Earth, and the winners of the 2020 Jim Beam National Talent Search CZN.
The Canadian Music Week Festival will be free to the public for 2021 and will feature both Canadian and International artists, streamed on the CMW Festival website www.cmw.net/festival/ from May 18-21. The streams will be available to re-watch on-demand for those unable to attend.